Saturday, March 19, 2011

Vack with a Vengeance

Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah, Ze Muzikal
CCP Little Theater

Finally, I got to catch Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah Ze Muzikal. We were supposed to watch it on March 5, but the show was cancelled because of a minor fire incident at CCP.

Going back... frankly, I am a little disappointed with how the musical turned out. For one thing, not all of them have their own microphone. Even in a small place like CCP little theater, some of the songs were barely audible. Eula Valdez and Pinky Amador were both superb. My friend and I couldn’t stop admiring Eula’s figure from where we were seated and we didn’t know she could carry a tune! Pinky was amazing! The voice, the diction, the acting! She’s just amazing.

Dodong was played by Rocky Salumbides. While he does have great abs, he just couldn't act and no, singing isn't one of his strong suit, as well. Sitting through his horible song was the most excruciating experience I've ever had in a while. At that time, I didn't know who he was. I remembered wondering who he's sleeping with to get into the the play --- as it turned out, it's Eula herself pala!

After watching Care Divas last week, I couldn’t help but to compare Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah with it. I felt I enjoyed Care Divas better. Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah was expected --- typical gay humor, some scenes were dragging to the point that it actually got boring. Sometimes, their attempt at humor failed miserably. The lines were not as spontaneous and witty, which is a shame because I really like Chris Martinez. And the songs! The songs were forgettable. Nothing really stood out. Unlike with Care Divas that up until now, I am still trying to tell my friend about the Harang song they sang for finale and the superstar song they sang when one of them, Kayla, was about to get deported. The funny thing, though, for both Care Divas and Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah, music is written by multi-award winner, Vincent de Jesus.

Bottomline: It's interesting but it could still be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment