Monday, July 11, 2011

Reefwalking in Boracay


Contrary to popular belief, Boracay isn't only for night life and white sand. It's also for underwater adventures, like Reef Walking (sometimes referred to as Helmet Diving). To actually walk on the seabed with only a helmet on was quite intriguing.

Sean, Carlo, Senyorita Lakwatsera getting ready for Reef Walking
Boracay Island, Aklan

So after riding the zorb, Carlo, Sean and I went off to the other side of the island, where we rode a speed boat to a floating raft in the middle of the sea. There, we would be oriented on the do's and don'ts of reef walking.


Sean and Carlo on board the raft

Senyorita Lakwatsera is listening attentively...
or so it seems..
We were told that the pressurized helmet is really heavy off water (about 20 kilos) but once submerged, it only weigh about 1 kilo. The helmet has a long tube connected to the oxygen tanks on the raft. A certified scuba diver would be accompanying us for the entire duration we're underwater. After a few more reminders, the instructor asked our group who would go first. In unison, Carlo and Sean replied, "ladies first." Gee, thanks a lot! 

Senyorita Lakwatsera, 15ft below sea level

So off I go, I lowered myself into the steps connected to the side of the raft. When the water reached my neck, they put the helmet on my head, the scuba diver held me by the elbow, and together, we descended into the water --- 15ft. below to be exact. As my feet touched the sand, I was dumbstruck that I'm actually exploring under the sea! The scuba diver gestured to ask if I'm ok, and I signaled back that yes, I am. Then he floated away and up. My eyes widened in disbelief. Darn! Of course, he's gonna go off to bring Carlo and Sean down!! Ok. Must.Not.Panic. I was alone 15ft below the water but right, must not panic. Must not move that much either. I don't know how long the tube extends but I don't wanna risk reaching the limit until it breaks off the oxygen tank

Feeding the fishy


After what seemed to be hours, Sean appeared. And then Carlo. Our 30 minutes of living ala-Ariel, Sebastian, and Flounder started.




Under the Sea
We had pieces of bread with us to entice the fishes to come closer. It's breathtaking the way they just swim around you. Small ones actually kiss my arms and legs; but, just like everything else in Boracay, the whole thing seemed too commercialized, a little less natural, almost staged even. For one thing, there are just a few corals in the area, and most of them are bleached. The fishes are not as diverse as what one would see in, say, Coron.

The Reefwalkers


Nevertheless, it was an unforgettable experience. After all, it's not everyday that we get to explore under the sea. And it made me even more convinced that getting my scuba diving certification is a must. Now that would be another adventure!

Details:

N.I.S. Reefwalker Diving Helmet Boracay
Contact Details: 036-2881546, 0922-8720461, 0939-1374688, 0922-872-0460


No comments:

Post a Comment