Friday, April 22, 2011

The 4am Bus to Nowhere






Once, there was a girl who dreamed of traveling. She wanted to find that special place ---




where everything is light and happy; where one could lie on the grass, with the sound of gentle flowing water rocking her to sleep. Everyday, she would gather little bits of information about that place.




She drafted plans and got everything she would need in her backpack until finally, she said, "I'm ready for that trip."



She headed to the bus stop and sat on the bench. If she could take the 4am bus, she's sure she would get to that special place in no time.



She checked her wristwatch. 3:25 --- plenty of time to kill before the bus arrives.





But as she patiently waited for the bus, an old lady walked towards the waiting shed. Her face bore the signs of pain, her back stooped as if tired and defeated, her feet moved, inch by inch, clearly lacking that graceful gait, her brittle hands gripped wooden walking sticks.

The old lady sat next to her, turned to her and said, "Hello, young lady. How are you doing?" Her voice was hoarse and shaky.

"I'm doing great, thank you for asking," the girl replied, trying hard not to stare at the old lady despite her curiosity. "I'm waiting for the 4am bus, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right stop."

"Ah, the 4am bus. Yes, you are at the right place. I should know -- I ride it everyday,"

"That's great! Then, maybe you know where I'm heading! I'm looking for that special place!" her face couldn't hide the excitement she felt.

"That special place?" the old lady asked, deeply puzzled.

"YES! That special place! Where everything is light and happy and where I could lie for hours on the grass! I learned, I could take the 4am bus to get there!"

The old lady shook her head.



"My dear, everyday I ride the same bus, hoping to find that same place you speak of."



"Everyday, it would leave the bus stop at 4am...



"Drive around for hours --- sometimes along the freeway, sometimes on small, winding roads..."


"But everyday, it leads me back here at the exact place I boarded it."

Now, the girl was disturbed. "I don't understand. What about the special place??"

"Maybe the 4am bus doesn't lead to that special place."

"Then why do you keep on taking it?"

The old lady considered the question for a minute before replying. "I didn't know when and where to alight. At the start, I was hoping it would take a different turn until it finally leads me to that special place, but now, I don't know anymore. My years are all behind me now. I'm all worn-out and I don't have those hopes anymore."

The girl was silent, dejected, pondering on what she learned. The seconds stretched to minutes, although it felt like hours. And in a small voice, she asked, "what am I going to do now?"

The old lady sighed. "Well, you can take that 4am bus with me and see if it could really bring us to that special place ---

"Or you could take the first bus, any bus that drives by, without knowing where it would lead you. It could lead somewhere or it could lead to another bus stop and another bus stop until you finally reach that special place. The choice is up to you."

Just as she was speaking, a different bus pulled over.



The girl didn't know where this bus was heading, but, as she looked at the old lady sitting beside her, exhausted and devoid of light, she knew she couldn't bear to have a life like hers.

And so, just as the other bus was about to close the door, she quickly stood up and ran towards it while shouting goodbye to the old lady.

While the unknown frightened her, to lose her years riding a bus to nowhere scared her more.



(Note: All photos are taken in St. Louis, Missouri, except for the photo of the old lady.)



No comments:

Post a Comment