Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Red-Shoed Dorothy in the Land of Oz

After I recovered from the catatonic phase that Will Schuester's version of "Over the Rainbow" in Glee's season finale brought about, it occurred to me that this whole US trip thing is like the story of Wizard of Oz!

Iwas like Dorothy who was dreaming of a place over the rainbow and got sucked into a whirlwind/tornado-like adventure, finally landing in the land of Oz (or better known as the land of America).

I didn't put on any silver slippers (or ruby slippers, depending on which version you followed) but I had been really crazy about the marked-down red Franco Sarto shoes I got.

There is no Wicked Witch of the East nor Good Witch of the South and I didn't meet a Scarecrow looking for a brain, a Tin Man looking for a heart, and a Cowardly Lion looking for courage.


But while in Cleveland, I got to meet with one of the top guys handling one of our divisions. The supposedly 2-hour meeting stretched for the whole day, where we actually spoke the same language and the discussion felt like a real exchange of ideas, a discourse, even at times, a debate, and where I ultimately earned his respect (and the right to wear their company shirt...).




And while in Arizona, I got to see the most stunning skyline. Mountains jutting out of the plains, forming silhouettes in bluish purple horizon. The great outdoors is really where my heart is.


And while in Chicago, I got to explore the city by myself, braving the subway and the crazed pedestrians, the chill of the wind blowing over the Chicago River and the glass-floored ledge at Willis Tower.

Cleveland, Arizona, Chicago --- the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion in my story showing me that I have the Brains, the Heart, and the Courage in me all along.

One more stop: LA (or the Emerald City, if we follow the storyline?). One final detour before this Dorothy taps her red shoes together and say, "there's no place like home. there's no place like home. there's no place like home..."

One more leg until she wakes up (from an incredibly long flight) back in Manila...

jet lagged but otherwise ready for more adventures. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment