Saturday, January 2, 2010

ice skating again



There was a time when rollerblading and ice skating pretty much dominated my life. I was in Grade 3 when I first saw the Cutting Edge and the Mighty Ducks I. After that, I would put on my rollerblades right after the school service deposited me at home, race and jump and do all sorts of exhibitions and bug my cousin until he's forced to lend me his hockey stick. I was so convinced that I would be a figure skater drafted to play for a hockey team someday!! But alas, just like most of our childish dreams, we tend to lose them in the process of growing up.


It was quite a surprise for me to go back after more than 10 years and find how smooth the ice felt when the blade of my skates made the initial contact with thin ice; how hard it was for my ankles to fight the propensity to slip; how necessary it was to coordinate my upper body with the lower so I won't land on my hiney... After getting over my initial terror, I began to gain confidence in my stride, skate backwards albeit wobbly, and really enjoy the chill. Ultimately, I realized I still have the same problem -- I still don't know how to break. But I'll work on it...(",)


After a while, I even started teaching my friends to ice skate!

To actually feel the rush of chilly wind on my face as I skate around the rink on top speed --- arrgggghhhh!!!! Why did I ever stay away from the rink too long?

No comments:

Post a Comment